The ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) is a float-adjusted modified market capitalization-weighted index designed to track the performance of companies that are primarily engaged and involved in the wind energy industry based on analysis of the products and services offered by those companies (including both
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Components (Last updated March 2018)
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Changes
As a result of the March 2018 evaluation and intra-quarterly updates, the following securities were most recently added or removed from the Index:
Additions: Terna Energy (ATHENS: TENERGY) and American Superconductor (NASDAQ: AMSC).
Removal: NRG Energy (NYSE: NRG).
Historical changes are
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Performance
Historical index performance is available
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Methodologies
The ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) (formerly the ISE Global Wind Energy Index) began on December 16,
Index eligibility is limited to specific security types only. The security type eligible for the Index
To be eligible for inclusion in the Index, a security must meet the following criteria:
- the issuer of the security must be primarily engaged and involved actively engaged in some aspect of the wind energy industry such as the development or management of a wind farm, the production or distribution of electricity generated by wind power, involvement in the design, manufacture or distribution of machinery or materials designed specifically for the Industry, as according to Clean Edge;
- be listed on an index-eligible global stock exchange;
- one security per issuer is permitted;
- a minimum worldwide market capitalization of $100 million;
- a minimum free float of 25%;
- a minimum three-month average daily dollar trading volume (ADDTV) of $500 thousand;
- have “seasoned” for at least three months on an index-eligible global exchange;
- the issuer of the security may not have entered into a definitive agreement or
other arrangementwhich would likely result in the security no longer being Index eligible;
- may not be issued by an issuer currently in bankruptcy proceedings; and
- the issuer of the security may not have annual financial statements with an audit opinion that is currently withdrawn.
For detailed methodology information
Financial Products Based on the ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index
The First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF (FAN) is based on the ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P.
The information contained above is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and nothing contained herein should be construed as investment advice, either on behalf of a particular financial product or an overall investment strategy. Clean Edge, Inc., does not make any recommendation to buy or sell any financial product or any representation about the financial condition of any company or fund.