The ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) is a float-adjusted modified market capitalization-weighted index designed to track the performance of companies that are engaged and involved in the wind energy industry based on analysis of the products and services offered by those companies (including both pure play companies focused on the wind energy sector and diversified multinationals with wind energy sector exposure).
An exchange traded fund, FAN , is based on the Nasdaq Clean Edge ISE Global Wind Energy Index and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P. See index components and learn more about our methodologies, up-to-date performance, and licensed products below.
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Components (Last updated September 2023)
|Aeris Indústria e Comércio de Equipamentos para Geração de Energia S.A.
|Aker Horizons ASA
|Alliant Energy Corporation
|Century Iron & Steel Industrial Co., Ltd.
|China Datang Corp Renewable Power CO Ltd
|China High Speed Trnsmsn Eqpt Grp Co Ltd
|China Longyuan Power Group Corp Ltd
|China Suntien Green Energy Corp
|Clearway Energy, Inc.
|Concord New Energy Group
|CS Bearing Co. Ltd.
|CS Wind Power
|Dongkuk Structures & Construction
|EDP - Energias de Portugal SA
|EDP Renováveis S.A.
|General Electric Company
|Goldwind Science & Tech Co Ltd
|Gurit Holding AG
|Innergex Renewable Energy Inc.
|NextEra Energy Inc
|Northland Power Inc
|Omega Energia S.A.
|Orrön Energy AB
|ReNew Energy Global Plc
|Siemens Energy AG
|The Timken Co.
|Unison Co Ltd
|Vestas Wind Systems A/S
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Changes
As a result of the September 2023 evaluation and/or intraquarterly changes, the following securities were most recently added or removed from the index:
Additions: Gurit Holding AG (Swiss: GURN), Orrön Energy AB (Stockholm: ORRON), and The Timken Co. (New York: TKR)
Deletions: Endesa S.A. (Madrid: ELE), Eolus Vind AB (Stockholm: EOLU.B), and TransAlta Renewables, Inc. (Toronto: RNW)
Historical changes are available here.
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Performance
Historical index performance is available here .
ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index Methodologies
The ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) (formerly the ISE Global Wind Energy Index) began on December 16, 2005 with a base value of 100.00. Click here to learn more.
Eligible security types generally include common stocks, ordinary shares and depositary shares.
To be eligible for inclusion in the Index, a security must meet the following criteria (see complete list of index screens by clicking on the Methdology link below:
- For Pureplay constituents, the issuer of the security must be primarily engaged and involved actively in some aspect of the wind energy industry such as the development or management of a wind farm; the production or distribution of electricity generated by wind power; involvement in the design, manufacture, or distribution of machinery or materials designed specifically for the industry; as according to Clean Edge. For evaluation purposes we look for 50% or more of revenues and/or generating assets (energy capacity and/or production) to come from wind-related activities;
- For Diversified constituents, the issuer of the security must be involved and engaged in some aspect of the wind energy industry such as the development or management of a wind farm; the production or distribution of electricity generated by wind power; involvement in the design, manufacture or distribution of machinery or materials designed specifically for the industry; as according to Clean Edge;
- a minimum worldwide market capitalization of $100 million;
- a minimum free float of 25%;
- a minimum three-month average daily dollar trading volume (ADDTV) of $500 thousand;
- have “seasoned” for at least three months on an index-eligible global exchange;
- the issuer of the security may not have entered into a definitive agreement or other arrangement which would likely result in the security no longer being Index eligible;
- may not be issued by an issuer currently in bankruptcy proceedings
Financial Products Based on the ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index
The First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF (FAN) is based on the ISE Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (GWE) and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P.
Nasdaq® is a registered trademark of Nasdaq, Inc. and Clean Edge® is a registered trademark of Clean Edge, Inc. The information contained above is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and nothing contained herein should be construed as investment advice, either on behalf of a particular security or an overall investment strategy. Neither Nasdaq, Inc. nor Clean Edge, Inc. nor any of its affiliates makes any recommendation to buy or sell any security or any representation about the financial condition of any company. Statements regarding Nasdaq-listed or other publicly listed companies or Nasdaq Clean Edge proprietary indexes are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Investors should undertake their own due diligence and carefully evaluate companies before investing. ADVICE FROM A SECURITIES PROFESSIONAL IS STRONGLY ADVISED.