The Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) is a modified market capitalization-weighted index designed to track the performance of companies that are manufacturers, developers, distributors, and/or installers of clean-energy and low-carbon technologies.
An exchange traded fund, QCLN, is based on the Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P. See index components and learn more about our methodologies, up-to-date performance, and licensed products below.
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Components (Last updated April 2020)
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Semi-Annual Changes
As a result of the March 2020 evaluation (applied in April due to the Covid-19 pandemic) and/or intra-quarterly changes, the following securities were most recently added or removed from the Index:
Additions: LSI Industries Inc. (NASDAQ: LYTS), FuelCell Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ: FCEL), Lithium Americas Corp. (NYSE: LAC), and Sunnova Energy International Inc. (NYSE: NOVA)
Deletions: AVX Corporation (NYSE: AVX), Hexcel Corporation (NYSE: HXL), and Pattern Energy (NASDAQ: PEGI)
Historical changes are available here .
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Performance
Historical index performance is available here .
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Methodologies
The Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) began on November 17, 2006, at a Base Value of 250.00. Click here to learn more.
To be eligible for inclusion in the Index issuers of a security must be classified, according to Clean Edge, as technology manufacturers, developers, distributors, and/or installers in one or more of the following sub-sectors:
- Advanced Materials (silicon, lithium, bio-based, and/or other materials and processes that enable clean-energy and low-carbon technologies);
- Energy Intelligence (conservation, efficiency, smart meters, energy management systems, LEDs, smart grid, superconductors, power controls, etc.);
- Energy Storage & Conversion (advanced batteries, power conversion, electric vehicles, hybrid drivetrains, hydrogen, fuel cells for stationary, portable, and transportation applications, etc.); and
- Renewable Electricity Generation (solar, wind, geothermal, water power, etc.).
In addition, a security must pass the following screens:
- be listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market, the New York Stock Exchange, NYSE American, or the CBOE Exchange;
- have a minimum market capitalization of $150 million;
- have a minimum average daily trading volume of at least 100-thousand shares;
- have a minimum closing price of $1.00;
- and have a demonstrated ability to capture the potential of the clean-energy sector by receiving a majority (50% or more) of its revenue from clean-energy and low-carbon activities, "or," in the case where a constituent has multiple business units and revenue streams, have substantial exposure to the clean-energy and low-carbon sector, according to Clean Edge.
Classifications are determined by Clean Edge, which has been at the forefront of identifying and classifying the clean-energy and clean-tech sectors for nearly 20 years. The firm’s first report, Clean Tech: Profits & Potential, which defined and highlighted the business and economic case for clean tech and clean energy, was published in April 2001 and Clean Edge co-founder Ron Pernick coauthored one of the first business books on the topic, The Clean Tech Revolution, published by HarperCollins in 2007. In addition to the company’s stock indexing work, Clean Edge has also classified and benchmarked the clean-tech activities of cities, states, and utilities.
For detailed methodology information visit here.
Financial Products Based on the Clean Edge Green Energy Index
The First Trust Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index Fund (QCLN) is based on the Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P.
The information contained above is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and nothing contained herein should be construed as investment advice, either on behalf of a particular financial product or an overall investment strategy. Clean Edge, Inc., does not make any recommendation to buy or sell any financial product or any representation about the financial condition of any company or fund.