The Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) is a modified market capitalization-weighted index designed to track the performance of companies that are manufacturers, developers, distributors, and/or installers of clean-energy technologies.
An exchange traded fund, QCLN, is based on the Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P. See index components and learn more about our methodologies, up-to-date performance, and licensed products below.
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Components (Last updated September 2022)
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Semi-Annual Changes
As a result of the September 2022 evaluation and/or intraquarterly changes, the following securities were most recently added or removed from the index:
Additions: Advent Technologies Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADN), Allego N.V. (NYSE: ALLG), Altus Power, Inc. (NYSE: AMPS), ESS Tech, Inc. (NYSE: GWH), Gogoro, Inc. (NASDAQ: GGR), Lucid Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: LCID), Montauk Renewables, Inc. (NASDAQ: MNTK), Rivian Automotive, Inc. (NASDAQ: RIVN), and Tritium DCFC Limited (NASDAQ: DCFC)
Deletions: Canadian Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ), Daqo New Energy Corp. (NYSE: DQ), Eos Energy Enterprises, Inc. (NASDAQ: EOSE), Infrastructure & Energy Alternatives, Inc. (NASDAQ: IEA), JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: JKS), Microvast Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: MVST), NIO, Inc. (NYSE: NIO), Niu Technologies (NASDAQ: NIU), Romeo Power, Inc. (New York: RMO), ReneSola Ltd. (NASDAQ: SOL), Willdan Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: WLDN), and XPeng, Inc. (NASDAQ: XPEV)
Historical changes are available here.
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Performance
Historical index performance is available here.
Clean Edge Green Energy Index Methodologies
The Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) began on November 17, 2006, at a Base Value of 250.00. Click here to learn more.
To be eligible for inclusion in the Index issuers of a security must be classified, according to Clean Edge, as technology manufacturers, developers, distributors, and/or installers in one or more of the following sub-sectors:
- Advanced Materials (silicon, lithium, bio-based, and/or other materials and processes that enable clean-energy and low-carbon technologies);
- Energy Intelligence (conservation, efficiency, smart meters, energy management systems, LEDs, smart grid, superconductors, power controls, etc.);
- Energy Storage & Conversion (advanced batteries, power conversion, electric vehicles, hybrid drivetrains, hydrogen, fuel cells for stationary, portable, and transportation applications, etc.); and
- Renewable Electricity Generation (solar, wind, geothermal, water power, etc.).
A security's issuer must be determined by Clean Edge to have a demonstrated ability to capture the potential of the clean-energy sector by receiving a majority (50% or more) of its revenue from clean- energy and low-carbon activities, or, in the case wherein a company has multiple business units and revenue streams, have substantial exposure to the clean-energy and low-carbon sector.
In addition, a security must pass the following screens:
- be listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market, the New York Stock Exchange, NYSE American, or the CBOE Exchange;
- have a minimum market capitalization of $150 million;
- have a minimum average daily trading volume of at least 100-thousand shares;
- have a minimum closing price of $1.00;
- the issuer of the security may not have entered into a definitive agreement or other arrangement which would likely result in the security no longer being Index eligible;
- may not be issued by an issuer currently in bankruptcy proceedings;
- may not be placed in a trading halt for two or more consecutive weeks;
- the issuer of the security may not have annual financial statements with an audit opinion that is currently withdrawn;
- and must not be identified by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as having used to audit its financial statements an accounting firm that has been identified by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) under the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act (HFCAA).
Financial Products Based on the Clean Edge Green Energy Index
The First Trust Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index Fund (QCLN) is based on the Nasdaq Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P.
The information contained above is provided for informational and educational purposes only. Clean Edge is not an investment adviser, and none of the information, including any Nasdaq Clean Edge index, should be construed as investment advice or relied on as the basis for making any kind of investment decision. Neither Clean Edge nor any of its affiliates makes any recommendation whatsoever to buy or sell any securities, fund, or financial product or any representation about the financial condition of any company, fund, or financial product. Information regarding any Clean Edge index is not a guarantee of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Past performance is not indicative of future results and should never be relied upon for making any kind of investment decisions. Investors should undertake their own due diligence and carefully evaluate companies before investing. ADVICE FROM A SECURITIES PROFESSIONAL IS STRONGLY ADVISED.