NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS)
The NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS) is a modified market capitalization-weighted index designed to track the performance of companies that are primarily manufacturers, developers, distributors, or installers of clean-energy technologies.
An exchange traded fund, QCLN , is based on the NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P. See index components and learn more about our methodologies, up-to-date performance, and licensed products below.
Index Components (Last updated September 2016)
||8Point3 Energy Partners, LP
||Acuity Brands, Inc.
||Ballard Power Systems
||First Solar, Inc.
||FuelCell Energy, Inc.
||Green Plains, Inc.
||JA Solar Holdings
||NextEra Energy Partners, LP
||Ormat Technologies, Inc.
||Pattern Energy Group, Inc.
||Plug Power, Inc.
||Renewable Energy Group
||Silver Spring Networks
||SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
||Tesla Motors, Inc.
||TerraForm Global, Inc.
||TerraForm Power, Inc
||Vivint Solar, Inc.
Clean Edge ® Green Energy Index Semi-Annual Changes
As a result of the September 2016 evaluation and intra-quarterly updates, the following securities were most recently added or removed from the Index:
Addition: Vivint Solar (VSLR).
Removals: SolarCity Corporation (SCTY); Linear Technology Corporation (LLTC); Trina Solar Limited (TSL); Amyris (AMRS); OPower (OPWR); Saft Groupe SA (SAFT).
Historical changes are available here.
Clean Edge ® Green Energy Index Performance
Historical index performance is available here.
Clean Edge ® Green Energy Index Methodologies
The NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS) began on November 17, 2006 at a Base Value of 250.00. Click here to learn more.
To be eligible for inclusion in the Index, the security must be listed on NASDAQ , NYSE or AMEX.
Issuers of the security must be classified, according to Clean Edge, as technology manufacturers, developers, distributors, and/or installers in one of the following sub-sectors:
- Advanced Materials (nanotech materials, advanced membranes, silicon-based materials and alternatives, bioplastics, etc. that enable clean-energy technologies and/or reduce the need for petroleum-based materials);
- Energy Intelligence (conservation, automated meter reading, energy management systems, smart grid, superconductors, power controls, etc.);
- Energy Storage & Conversion (advanced batteries, hybrid drivetrains, hydrogen, fuel cells for stationary, portable, and transportation applications, etc.); and
- Renewable Electricity Generation & Renewable Fuels (solar photovoltiacs, concentrating solar, wind, geothermal, and ethanol, biodiesel, biofuel enabling enzymes, etc.)
The NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS) is a pure play index (not diluted).
A number of differences exist between our index and others based on the selection criteria and weighting methodology applied. Our goal is to track the industry and develop an index that we believe best reflects the opportunity for U.S.-listed clean-energy companies and acts as a benchmark for the emerging clean-energy sector.
NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS) constituents must pass a rigorous screening test:
- Listed on NASDAQ, NYSE or Amex
- Minimum market cap of $150 million
- Average daily trading volume of at least 100-thousand shares year-to-date
- Minimum closing price of $1.00
- Demonstrated ability to capture the growth potential of the clean-energy sector
Financial Products Based on the Clean Edge ® Green Energy Index
The First Trust NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index Fund (QCLN) is based on the NASDAQ® Clean Edge® Green Energy Index (CELS) and is sponsored by First Trust Advisors L.P.
The information contained above is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and nothing contained herein should be construed as investment advice, either on behalf of a particular financial product or an overall investment strategy. Clean Edge, Inc., does not make any recommendation to buy or sell any financial product or any representation about the financial condition of any company or fund.