See How Your State and Metro Rank
The U.S. Clean Tech Leadership Index tracks and ranks the clean-tech activities of all 50 states and the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S. – from electric vehicles and renewables adoption to patent and investment activity.
The objective of the Leadership Index is to serve as a tool for regional comparative research, a source for aggregated industry data, and a jumping-off point for deep, data-driven analysis of the U.S. clean-tech market.
To see how your state and city rank, download our summary report (49 pages; 30+ tables and charts).
Key report findings:
- Last year, utility-scale wind (27%) and solar power (20%) combined for 47% of new U.S. generation capacity. Based on this expansion, 11 states now generate more than 10% of their electricity from non-hydro renewable energy sources, with three of these states – Iowa, South Dakota, and Kansas – exceeding 20%.
- When including hydropower and biomass, four states – Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and South Dakota – now exceed 70% renewables generation.
- Last year, California became the first state in the nation to garner 5% of its electricity from utility-scale solar.
The sixth edition of the State Index covers more than 70 indicators in three main categories: Technology, Policy, and Capital. Data is included for all 50 states on clean-energy generation, energy storage installations, green building deployment, energy efficiency expenditures, VC investments, clean-energy patents, and much more.
Download our summary report to see data and rankings of all 50 states.
The fourth edition of the Metro Index tracks clean-tech activities of the 50 largest U.S. metro areas through more than 20 indicators within the following categories: Green Buildings, Advanced Transportation, Clean Electricity & Carbon Management, and Clean Tech Investment & Innovation.
Download our summary report to see data and rankings of all 50 metros.
Thanks to Our Clean Tech Leadership Index Partners
The U.S. Clean Tech Leadership Index would not be possible without the support of our partners. In addition to full data access and customized advisory support, our partners gain wide industry branding and recognition.
In addition to publicly available datasets and Clean Edge-derived indicators, Clean Edge leverages data from private data partners including Cleantech Group, EQ Research, Heslin Rothenberg Farley & Mesiti P.C., and IHS Automotive.
Get the Full Picture: Subscription Packages
The U.S. Clean Tech Leadership Index includes more than 100 indicators comprised of approximately 17,000 data points. The complete state and metro datasets are only available to Index subscribers. For information on partnership packages contact Bryce Yonker, Clean Edge senior director of business development and strategic partnerships, at 503-206-8448 or email@example.com.